Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It takes a life...

Today, on my normal trek in to work, I passed an accident. The roads were icy to say the least, but the ice, as in most cases, was a black. It was invisible to any normal driver, but when the time deemed right, the ice decided to take it's prey...it's first victim of the overnight freeze. The fence that runs on the side of the road was down in that section, and a car lay flipped over on it's nose. As I approached, an ambulence finally made it's arrival. I slowed to a creeping pace to let the ambulence over...and as I inched by my heart sank as I saw a sheriff standing near the car, pointing in the distance. The car had no body inside...the driver had been thrown from the car. How far he or she had been thrown I had no way of knowing, but I had immediately assumed the works. It was horrifying enough that there had even been an accident, but for the driver to have been thrown a possible hundred feet in weather close to freezing made my throat closed.

The driver could have been anyone. Someone's mother, someone's father...someone's sister, brother, daughter, son. Someone's husband or wife. And that someone was probably on their way to work, like any other day. Ready to get their day started, to earn a living for themselves or their family.

It was a nice car too. Whoever owned that car, and sat behind the wheel that morning with their hands gripping the wheel, was more than likely successful in what they did. They probably live, or lived, a very comfortable lifestyle. I'm praying that it can still be categorized as 'live' rather than 'lived'... But regardless of how successful that person had been, how nice a car they drove, or if they had a loving family back home, nothing could stop the tragedy from happening this morning.

When I think about how I've complained about how dull life can be when I work, I would like to slap myself. At least I have life. Every night I go to bed without the fear of forever staying asleep. I wake up for the day and make it to work safely.

Who am I to complain?

That's the question that has been running through my head all morning. Ever since I passed that car turned upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment